No overview available.
across bottom: MARGARIT' [DE A]RITIO ME FECIT (Margaritus of Arezzo made me)
Marks and Labels
Executed for the church of a Benedictine monastery in the area of Arezzo, possibly for the Badia delle Sante Flora e Lucilla near the city walls; probably (art market, Rome); acquired by William Blundell Spence [1814–1900], Florence and London, by 1859; Ralph Nicholson Wornum [1812–1877], London, by 1865. Augustus Henry Lane Fox Pitt-Rivers [1827–1900], Rushmore House and King John’s House, Tollard Royal, Wiltshire, by 1894; by descent to his grandson, George Henry Lane Fox Pitt-Rivers [1890–1966], Hinton St. Mary, Dorset, by 1926. (Robert Langton Douglas [1864–1951], London); (Arthur Ruck, London); sold to Philip Lehman [1861–1947], New York, by 1928; sold June 1943 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Pictures by Italian, Spanish, Flemish, Dutch, French, and English Masters, British Institution, London, 1865, no. 75, as _The Madonna and Child, enthroned with Saints Bruno and Benedict, and Two Cistercian Nuns as Wise Virgins_.
- Recent Additions to the Kress Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1946, no. 807.
- Lehman, Robert. The Philip Lehman Collection, New York: Paintings. New York, 1928: no. I, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 3, repro.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. Supplement to the Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1946: 13, repro.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 12-15, repro.
- Kress 1957, 9, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Early Italian Painting in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 1959 (Booklet Number Three in Ten Schools of Painting in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.): 3, fig. 1
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 297, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 83
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XIII-XV Century. London, 1966: 3-4, fig. 1.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 73, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 214, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:301-302, II:pl. 215
- Sutton, Denys. "Robert Langton Douglas. Part III." Apollo 109 (June 1979): 459  fig. 22, 468 .
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 67, no. 5, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 250, repro.
- Wheeler, Marion, ed. His Face--Images of Christ in Art: Selections from the King James Version of the Bible. New York, 1998: 126, no. 22, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection