across top on arch: SANCTUS [IO]HANES ...S SU...
Marks and Labels
Executed in all probability for the church of San Francesco al Prato in Perugia, where at least part of the fragments belonging to the same altarpiece were still preserved in 1793; probably privately owned in Perugia; Anton de Waal [1837–1917], Rome; probably (Paolo Paolini, Rome), by 1921; Philip Lehman [1861–1947], New York, by 1928; sold June 1943 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Recent Additions to the Kress Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1946, no. 811.
- The Treasury of Saint Francis of Assisi, Petit Palais, Paris; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, 1998-1999, no. 6/3, repro., as The Apostle Saint John the Evangelist (shown only in New York in 1999).
- Lehman, Robert. The Philip Lehman Collection, New York: Paintings. New York, 1928: no. LXII, repro.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. Supplement to the Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1946: 14, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 12, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 87
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XIII-XV Century. London, 1966: 4-5, fig. 3.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 76, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 224, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:324-325, II:pl. 234
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 67, no. 3, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 257, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection