Left altar of the church of the former Hospital of San Bartolommeo, Rapolano (Siena), by 1865; Ireneo Magi, mayor of Rapolano, by 1910; (Elia Volpi [1858-1938], Florence), by March 1925; (Robert Langton Douglas [1864-1951], London); Arthur Sachs [1880-1975], New York, by February 1931; sold March 1943 through (Jacques Seligmann & Co., New York) and (Moses & Singer) to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1931-1934.
- Recent Additions to the Kress Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1946, no. 813.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. The Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1944: 22, repro., as Madonna and Child with St. Anthony Abbot and St. Hermengildus.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 52, repro., as Madonna and Child with Saints.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 82, repro., as Madonna and Child with Saints.
- Seligman, Germain. Merchants of Art: 1880-1960, Eighty Years of Professional Collecting. New York, 1961: repro. pl. 86.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 96.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XIII-XV Century. London, 1966: 155-156, fig. 421.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 85, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 254, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:344-345, II:pl. 251
- Sutton, Denys. "Robert Langton Douglas. Part III." Apollo 109 (June 1979): 463  fig. 36, 465 .
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 80, no. 32, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 292, repro.
- Wheeler, Marion. His Face: Images of Christ in Art, New York, 1988: no. 12, repro.
- Apostolos-Cappadona, Diane. "Virgin/Virginity." In Encyclopedia of Comparative Iconography: Themes Depicted in Works of Art. Edited by Helene E. Roberts. 2 vols. Chicago, 1998: 2:905.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 540-543, color repro.