No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Probably Aloisi-Vicoli-Caccialupi family, San Severino Marche; by inheritance to Count Augusto Caccialupi Olivieri [1834-1897], Macerata, by 1870; purchased by Robert Jenkins Nevin [1839-1906], Rome. Dan Fellows Platt [1873-1938], Englewood, New Jersey, in 1906; sold November 1943 by the trustees of the Platt estate to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Italian Primitives, F. Kleinberger Galleries, New York, 1917, no. 52, repro.
- Masterpieces of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture from 1300-1800, New York World's Fair, 1939, no. 347a, repro., as St. Anthony leaves the Monastery for Alexandria by Sassetta.
- Golden Gate International Exposition, Palace of Fine Arts, San Francisco, 1940, no. 120, repro., as St. Anthony Leaves the Monastery for Alexandria by Sassetta.
- Recent Additions to the Kress Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1946, no. 818, as by Sassetta.
- Painting in Renaissance Siena, 1420-1500, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1988-1989, no. 10c, repro., as Saint Anthony Blessed by an Old Hermit by the Master of the Osservanza.
- Da Jacopo della Quercia a Donatello. Le Arti a Siena nel Primo Rinascimento, Complesso Museale Santa Maria della Scala, Siena, 2010, no. C.34c, repro.
- Perkins, F. Mason. "Quattro tavole inedite del Sassetta," Rassegna d'Arte Senese 7 (1907): 45-46.
- Waterhouse, Ellis K. "Sassetta and the Legend of St. Anthony Abbot." The Burlington Magazine 59 (September 1931): 108-113.
- Venturi, Lionello. Italian Paintings in America. 3 vols. New York and Milan, 1933: 1:138, repro.
- Pope-Hennessy, John. Sassetta. London, 1939: 69-77, 82-86, 91-93, n. 35-50, repro. pl. xiii.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 39, repro., as by Sassetta.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. Supplement to the Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1946: 27, repro., as by Sassetta
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 40, repro., as by Sassetta.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Early Italian Painting in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 1959 (Booklet Number Three in Ten Schools of Painting in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.): 18, color repro., as by Sassetta.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 120, as by Sassetta and Assistant.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XIII-XV Century. London, 1966: 141, fig. 379.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 107, repro., as by Sassetta and Assistant.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 318, repro., as by Sassetta and Assistant.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:319-323, II:pl. 232, as Master of the Osservanza Triptych.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 80, no. 28, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 368, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 481-495, color repro., as by Master of the Osservanza (Sano di Pietro).
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection