across center: .SATVS.YACOBVS.
Marks and Labels
Acquired between 1832 and 1842 by Johann Anton Ramboux [1790-1866], Cologne, together with six other components of the same series, presumably in Siena; (his estate sale, J.M. Heberle, Cologne, 23 May 1867, no. 75 [all ten panels], as by Lippo Memmi); the whole series purchased by the Wallraf-Richartz-Museum, Cologne, which deaccessioned it in 1922-1923; the four NGA panels, 1952.5.23-.26, purchased together with a fifth panel of the same series, by Philip Lehman [1861-1947], New York, by 1928; the four NGA panels sold June 1943 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to the NGA.
- Recent Additions to the Kress Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1946, no. 822.
- Lehman, Robert. The Philip Lehman Collection, New York: Paintings. New York, 1928: no. XXII, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 33, repro., as by Simone Martini and Assistants.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 123, as by Simone Martini and Assistants.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XIII-XV Century. London, 1966: 48-49, fig. 124.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 110, repro., as by Simone Martini and Assistants.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 326, repro., as by Simone Martini and Assistants
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:432-433, II:pl. 310
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 374, repro.
- Blöcker, Susanne et. al. Lunt und Verlust II: Corpus-Band zu Kölner Gemäldesammlungen 1800-1860. Köln, 1998: 551, fig. 75c, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection