No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Probably commissioned by the sitter, Cardinal Pietro Bembo [d. 1547], Padua and Rome. Leoni Galli; in 1636 to Cardinal Antonio Barberini [d. 1671], Rome; by inheritance to Maffeo Barberini, Principe di Palestrina, Rome; by inheritance to the Barberini collection, Rome until at least 1890. Elia Volpi [1858-1938], Florence; sold 1905 to (Colnaghi's, London and New York); on joint account with (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); sold 1906 to Charles M. Schwab, New York; (Schwab sale, Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, 3 December 1942, no. 32); purchased by Stephen Pichetto for the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Fiftieth Anniversary Exhibition, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1920, unnumbered catalogue.
- Recent Additions to the Kress Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1946, no. 826.
- Tiziano [NGA title: Titian: Prince of Painters], Palazzo Ducale, Venice; National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1990-1991, no. 31, repro.
- Treasures of Venice, Szépmüvészeti Múzeum, Budapest, 1996, unnumbered cat., repro.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 88-90, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 193, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 130.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 117, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 180-181, fig. 433.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 346, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:482-483, II:pl. 343
- Alsop, Joseph. The Rare Art Traditions: The History of Art Collecting and Its Linked Phenomena Wherever These Have Appeared. Bollingen series 35, no. 27. New York, 1982: fig. 85.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 206, no. 247, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 397, repro.
- Allen, Denise, with Peta Motture. Andrea Riccio: Renaissance Master of Bronze. Exh. cat. The Frick Collection, New York. London, 2008: 44, 45, fig. III.5.
- "Vasari and the National Gallery of Art." National Gallery of Art Bulletin 48 (Spring 2013): 20, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection