lower left on gunwale of boat in brown paint: CLAVDIO o IVo169[R?]OM
Robert Trevor Hampden, 1st viscount Hampden [1705-1783], by 1771; by inheritance to his son, Thomas Trevor Hampden, 2nd viscount Hampden [1746-1824]; probably by inheritance to his brother, John Trevor Hampden, 3rd viscount Hampden [1749-1824]; probably by inheritance to his wife, Harriet, viscountess Hampden [née Burton, d. 1829]; by inheritance to Jane Maria, viscountess Hampden [second wife of the 2nd Viscount, d. 1833], either from her husband, his brother the 3rd viscount, or the 3rd viscount's wife; (Hampden sale, Christie & Manson, London, 19 April 1834, no. 85); purchased by Mr. Brown. (sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 18 December 1920, no. 38). (Galerie Jean Charpentier, Paris), by 1926. (Wildenstein & Co., Paris, New York, and London); sold 1947 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Claude Gellée dit Le Lorrain: 1600-1682, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris, 1982-1983, no. 5, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1945-1951. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 220, no. 98, repro.
- Cooke, Hereward Lester. French Paintings of the 16th-18th Centuries in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 1959 (Booklet Number Four in Ten Schools of Painting in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.): 16, color repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 342, repro.
- Röthlisberger, Marcel. Claude Lorrain: The Paintings. 2 vols. New Haven, 1961:I:no. 279
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 28.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 21, repro.
- Röthlisberger, Marcel. "Claude Lorrain in the National Gallery of Art." Studies in the History of Art (1969-1970):34-57, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 72, repro.
- Eisler, Colin. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools Excluding Italian. Oxford, 1977: 282-283, fig. 253, as Lading Vessels on the Po.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 313, no. 412, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 90, repro.
- Marx, Leo. "Does Pastoralism Have a Future?" Studies in the History of Art 36 (1992): 215, 218, repro. no. 3.
- Stokstad, Marilyn. Art History. New York, 1995: 774, fig. 19-28.
- Stokstad, Marilyn. Art History. 2 vols. Revised ed. New York, 1999: 774, fig. 19-24.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 175, no. 134, color repro.
- The Arts of France from François Ier to Napoléon Ier. A Centennial Celebration of Wildenstein's Presence in New York. Exh. cat. Wildenstein & Co., Inc., New York, 2005: 51, fig. 9, 71 (not in the exhibition).
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 19, 97-101, color repro.