Sir Francis Cook, 1st bt. [1817-1901], Doughty House, Richmond, Surrey, by 1901; by inheritance to his son, Sir Frederick Lucas Cook, 2nd bt. [1844-1920], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Herbert Frederick Cook, 3rd bt. [1868-1939], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Francis Ferdinand Maurice Cook, 4th bt. [1907-1978], Doughty House, and Cothay Manor, Somerset; sold June or July 1947 to (Gualtiero Volterra, London) for (Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Florence); sold July 1948 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Andrea Mantegna, Royal Academy of Arts, London; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1992, no. 15, repro., as The Infant Redeemer.
- Andrea Mantegna e le Arti a Verona, 1450-1500, Palazzo della Gran Guardia, Verona, 2006-2007, no. 12, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1945-1951. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 68, no. 23, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 132, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 82.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 73, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 25, fig. 58.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 214, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:298-299, II:pl. 212
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 114, no. 94, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 249, repro.
- Boorsch, Suzanne, et al. Andrea Mantegna. Exh. cat. Royal Academy of Arts, London; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. London and Milan, 1992: 15.
- Halpine, Susana M. "An Investigation of Artists' Materials Using Amino Acid Analysis: Introduction of the One-Hour Extraction Method." Studies in the History of Art 51 (1995): 48-53, 61, repro. no. 11.
- Symposium, Early Italian Paintings Techniques and Analysis, Maastricht, 1996: 81, repro.
- Batzner, Nike. Andrea Mantegna, 1430/31-1506. Konemann, 1998: repro. no. 59.
- Boskovits, Miklós, David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 2003: 428-431, color repro.