No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Probably commissioned c. 1518 by Alfonso I d'Este, Duke of Ferrara. Purchased from an unknown collector or dealer in Siena by Bertram Arthur Talbot, 17th Earl of Shrewsbury [d. 1856], Alton Towers, Stafford, England; (Shrewsbury sale, Christie & Manson, London, 4 July 1857, no. 151). Sir John Charles Robinson [1824-1913], London; sold 1868 to Sir Francis Cook, 1st Bt. [1817-1901], Doughty House, Richmond, Surrey; by inheritance to his son, Sir Frederick Lucas Cook, 2nd Bt. [1844-1920], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Herbert Frederick Cook, 3rd Bt. [1868-1939], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Francis Ferdinand Maurice Cook, 4th Bt. [1907-1978], Doughty House, and Cothay Manor, Somerset; (Francis A. Drey, London); sold February 1947 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 61-63, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1945-1951. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 94, no. 37, repro.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. "Interpreting Masterpieces: Twenty-four Paintings from the Kress Collection." Art News Annual 16 (1952): 98-99, repro. 95
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1956: 22, color repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 87, repro.
- Seymour 1961 (Kress), 111, color repro. pl. 101, repro. pl. 102
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Treasures from the National Gallery of Art, New York, 1962: 28, color repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 154, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 124.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 1:146, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 110, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 144-145, fig. 350-351.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 330, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:433-434, II:pl. 314
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 216, no. 265, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 378, repro.
- Manca, Joseph. "What is Ferrarese about Bellini's Feast of the Gods?" Studies in the History of Art 45 (1993): 308-309, repro. no. 7.
- Danziger, Elon. The Cook Collection: Its Founder and Its Inheritors." The Burlington Magazine 146, no. 1216 (July 2004): 447.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection