No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Francis Richard Charteris, 10th earl of Wemyss [1818-1914], Gosford House, Longniddry, East Lothian, Scotland, by 1886; by inheritance to his son, Hugo Richard Charteris, 11th earl of Wemyss [1857-1937], Gosford House; (Wildenstein & Co., New York), by 1929; sold June 1949 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Works by the Old Masters. Winter Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1886, no. 144, as A Venetian Senator.
- Scottish Paintings, Water Colours and Sculpture, British Paintings, Water Colours, Miniatures and Sculpture, British Graphic and Applied Art, Old Masters, Stained Glass Exhibit, Canadian Paintings, Water Colours, Sculpture, Graphic and Applied Art, and Salon of Photography, Canadian National Exhibition, Toronto, 1931, no. 116, as Francesco Duodo.
- Exhibition of Venetian Painting From the Fifteenth Century through the Eighteenth Century, California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 1938, no. 66, repro., as Portrait of Francesco Duodo.
- Italian Paintings, Wildenstein & Co., New York, 1947, unnumbered catalogue, repro., as Portrait of Francesco Duodo.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore, 1988-1989.
- The Age of Titian: Venetian Renaissance Art from Scottish Collections, Royal Scottish Academy Building, Edinburgh, 2004, no. 68, repro.
- Tintoretto, Museo Nacional del Prado, Madrid, 2007, no. 34, repro.
- Botticelli to Titian: Two Centuries of Italian Masterpieces, Museum of Fine Arts, Budapest, 2009-2010, no. 109, repro.
- Stoughton Holborn, Ian Bernard. Jacopo Robusti, called Tintoretto. London, 1903, 1907 ed.: 108.
- Osmaston, Francis P. B. The Art and Genius of Tintoret. 2 vols. London, 1915: 2:192.
- Bercken, Erich von der, and August L. Mayer. Jacopo Tintoretto. 2 vols. Munich, 1923: 1:67.
- Valentiner, Wilhelm R., ed. Unknown Masterpieces in Public and Private Collections. London, 1930: n.p., pl. 28.
- Venturi, Lionello. Pitture italiane in America. Milan, 1931: pl. 414.
- Bercken, Erich von der. Die Gemälde des Jacopo Tintoretto. Munich, 1942: 118, n. 262.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1945-1951. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 122, no. 51, repro.
- Berenson, Bernard. Italian Pictures of the Renaissance. Venetian School. 2 vols. London, 1957: 1:183.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 204, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 128.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 115, repro.
- De Vecchi, Pierluigi. L’opera completa del Tintoretto. Milan, 1970: 120, n. 225.
- Fredericksen, Burton B., and Federico Zeri. Census of Pre-Nineteenth Century Italian Paintings in North American Public Collections. Cambridge, Mass., 1972: 201.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XVI-XVIII Century. London, 1973: 52-53, fig. 92.
- Rossi, Paola. Jacopo Tintoretto: I ritratti. Venice, 1974: 132-133, n. 154; fig. 152.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 342, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:467-468, II:pl. 333
- Rearick, W. R. In Italian Paintings, XIV–XVIIIth centuries, from the Collection of the Baltimore Museum of Art. Edited by Gertrude Rosenthal. Baltimore, 1981: 135, 145 n. 39, fig. 3.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 230, no. 289, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 393, repro.
- Chapman, H. Perry. Rembrandt's Self-Portraits: A Study in Seventeenth-Century Identity. Princeton, 1990: xiv, fig. 134.
- Butterfield, Andrew. "Brush with Genius [review of the exhibition Tintoretto, Museo Nacional del Prado, Madrid, 2007] ." The New York Review of Books (26 April 2007): 12.