No overview available.
upper left on tablet: ...TIS/...OIX
Marks and Labels
Possibly acquired by Francis Charteris, 7th earl of Wemyss [1723-1808], Amisfield House, near Edinburgh, and later Gosford House, Longniddry, East Lothian, Scotland; by inheritance to his grandson, Francis Charteris, 8th earl of Wemyss [1772-1853], Gosford House; by inheritance to his son, Francis Wemyss-Charteris, 9th earl of Wemyss [1796-1883], Gosford House; by inheritance to his son, Francis Richard Charteris, 10th earl of Wemyss [1818-1914], Gosford House; by inheritance to his son, Hugo Richard Charteris, 11th earl of Wemyss [1857-1937], Gosford House, until 1927; (Wildenstein & Co., New York); sold 1928 to (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); purchased January 1928 by Andrew W. Mellon, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.; deeded 28 December 1934 to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 196, no. 35, as by Titian.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 240, repro. 200, as by Titian.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 37, repro., as by Titian.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 129, as by Titian.
- European Paintings and Sculpture: Illustrations (Companion to the Summary Catalogue, 1965). Washington, 1968: 117, no. 35, repro., as by Titian.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 344, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. Washington, 1979: I:506-508, II:pl. 355, as After Titian.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 398, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection