No overview available.
lower right: R. Earl Pinxit 1804
Marks and Labels
Recorded as from Springfield, Masachusetts. (Peter Kostoff, Springfield, Massachusetts), by whom sold in 1925 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1953.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part I, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1954, no. 33.
- American Primitive Paintings, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1955.
- 101 Masterpieces of American Primitive Painting from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by the Amer. Federation of Arts, New York, 1961-1964, no. 32, color repro. First venue: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, N.Y.
- National Gallery Loan Exhibition, Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte, North Carolina, 1967, no. 7.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: 111 Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., 1968-1970, no. 30. First venue: Grand Palais, Paris.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, organized by the Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., and Mainichi News., for Nihobashi Mitsukoshi, Tokyo, 1970, no ca
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Georgia Museum of Art, University of Georgia, Athens, 1972-1974.
- The American Earls. Ralph Earl, James Earl, R.E.W. Earl, William Benton Museum of Art, University of Connecticut, Storrs, 1972, xxvii, no. 19.
- The World of Franklin and Jefferson, traveling exhibition circulated by the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration, 6 venues (Paris, Warsaw, London, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles), 1975-1977, not included in cat.
- The American Folk Art Tradition: Paintings from the Garbisch Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Terra Museum of American Art, Evanston, Illinois, 1981-1982, no. 9, color repro. (cat. by Ronald McKnight Melvin).
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, traveling exhibition by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 25, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New Y
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 25, repro.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Gerald S. McGowan, U.S. Embassy residence, Lisbon, Portugal, 1999-2001 (unnumbered brochure, repro.).
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 54, repro.
- MacBeth, Jerome R. "Portraits by Ralph E. W. Earl." Antiques 100 (September 1971): 390.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 151, repro.
- Lovell, Margaretta. "Reading Eighteenth-Century American Family Portraits: Social Images and Self-Images." Winterthur Portfolio 22, no. 4 (Winter 1987): 263-264.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 170, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 104-106, color repro. 105.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection