on original stretcher: Hannah Plant Born Oct. 25th 1770. Portrait taken May 1 1795, 25 years of age
Recorded as from Connecticut. Frances B. Russell, Stratford, Connecticut, by 1941. (Mr. Aarons, Ansonia, Connecticut), by whom sold in 1952 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch (perhaps with Frederick Fuessenich as agent); gift to NGA, 1953.
- Two Centuries of American Portraits, University of Kentucky Art Gallery, Lexington; Paducah Art Gallery, Kentucky; J. B. Speed Art Museum, Louisville, Kentucky, 1970, no cat.
- Extended loan for use by the U.S. Consulate, Leningrad, U.S.S.R., 1973-1978.
- Sherman, Frederick. Richard Jennys, New England Portrait Painter. Springfield, Massachusetts, 1941: 64, 65, 67.
- Warren, William L. "A Checklist of Jennys Portraits." Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin 21 (April 1956): 37, 49, 50.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 72, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 183, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 212, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 220, 224, repro. 222.