falsely signed, incised on self-base in the model and enhanced after casting: h.D.; stamped on exterior rim of base: BRONZE; on underside: 6/30
Marks and Labels
(Maurice Gobin, Paris), c. 1950-1956; (Henri M. Petiet, Paris); sold December 1952 to Lessing Julius Rosenwald, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania; gift 1953 to NGA.
- Honoré Daumier, Anniversary Exhibition, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1958, no. 15, as by Honoré Daumier.
- Honoré Daumier, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1960, no cat.
- Daumier Sculpture: A Critical and Comparative Study, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1969, no. 52b, repro.
- Gobin, Maurice. Daumier Sculpteur, 1808-1879. Geneva, 1952: no. 41.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 151, as by Daumier.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 133, repro., as by Daumier.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 60, repro.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 206-212, color repro.