(Rose M. [Mrs. Augustus] de Forest, New York); purchased 1930 by Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection on 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1954 to NGA.
- Benisovich, Michel. "Wertmüller et son Livre de Raison intitulé La 'Notte.'" Gazette des Beaux-Arts. 6th ser., 48 (July-August 1956): 59.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 162, repro., as Portrait of a Man by American (?).
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 307, as Portrait of a Man by Unknown [Formerly Considered American].
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 414, repro., as Portrait of a Man by Unknown Nationaliy 18th Century.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 313-316, color repro. 315.