lower left: J. Alden Weir
Probably purchased from the artist by (Newman Emerson Montross, New York); sold 1908 to Hugo Reisinger [1856-1914], New York; his estate; (his estate sale, American Art Association, New York, 18 January 1916, no. 8); A[aron] Augustus Healy [1850-1921], Brooklyn; by inheritance to his wife, Theodosia [Mrs. A. Augustus] Healy, Cold Spring-on-Hudson, New York; (her sale, American Art Association, New York, 23 March 1939, no. 72); Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; gift 1954 to NGA.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- Paintings other than French in the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 46, repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 118, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 254, repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 193, repro. 194.
- Burke, Doreen Bolger. J. Alden Weir: An American Impressionist. Newark, Delaware, 1983: 232, illus. 6.15.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 376, repro.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 230-232, color repro.
- Merrill, Linda, et al. After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting. Exh. cat. High Museum of Art, Atlanta; The Detroit Institute of Arts. Atlanta, 2003: