No overview available.
Marks and Labels
(M. Knoedler & Co.), 1921, from whom it was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Sabin, Southampton, Long Island, New York. Mrs. Sabin, née Pauline Morton, later became Mrs. Dwight F. Davis, Washington [d. 1955]; gift to NGA, 1954.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 116
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 103, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 308, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1975: no. 511, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 355, repro.
- Hayes, John. British Paintings of the Sixteenth through Nineteenth Centuries. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 232-235, repro. 233.
The medium-weight canvas is plain woven; it has been lined, but the tacking margins survive intact. The light-brown ground is applied thinly and evenly. The painting is executed fluidly and thinly; the uniform remains flat and unfinished, only the head being modeled to a higher finish. The painting is in good condition. Retouching is confined almost exclusively to the edges. The thick natural resin varnish has discolored yellow slightly.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection