No overview available.
lower right, on rock: A.A. Lamb.; formerly on reverse (photograph in object file [1955.11.10] in NGA curatorial records): EXHIBI[T] / [A]ND MEC / 
Marks and Labels
Recorded as from Pennsylvania. Probably (Avis and Rockwell Gardner, Stamford, Connecticut), by whom sold in 1949 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1955.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part I, National Gallery of Art, 1954, no. 110.
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1962-1989 (temporarily returned to NGA for in-house exhibition in honor of the inauguration, December 1980 - March 1981).
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Walter Curley, U.S. Embassy residence, Paris, France, 1989-1994.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Madeleine Albright, Representative of the U.S. to the United Nations, office at the U.S. Department of State, Washington, D.C., 1993-1997.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Madeleine Albright, U.S. Department of State, Washington, D.C., 1997-2001.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Ann Veneman, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C., 2001-2005.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Mike Nicholson, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, D.C., 2005-2007.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary James Peake, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, D.C., 2007-2008.
- Barker, Virgil. "Colloquial History Painting." Art in America 42 (May 1954): 124.
- American Heritage 15 (April 1964): cover (color).
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 78, repro.
- Keyes, Donald D. and Lisa Taft. "David G. Blythe's Civil War Paintings." Antiques 108 (November 1975): 996, fig. 8.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 192, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 224, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 241-244, repro. 243.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection