lower left: C. Hofmann Painter 1872; lower right: VIEW of BENJAMIN REBER'S FARM, / in Lower Heidelberg Township, / Berks County Pa. / taken from the North-Side.
Recorded as from Berks County, Pennsylvania. Purchased in 1951 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1955.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part I, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1954, no. 112.
- American Primitive Paintings, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1955.
- American Primitive Art, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 1956, no. 30.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part II, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957.
- American Folk Art. Part of American Art. Four Exhibitions, Brussels Universal and International Exhibition, Belgium, 1958, no. 100, 52.
- Exhibition of Early American Art, Academy of the Arts, Talbot County Historical Society, Easton, Maryland, 1962.
- Pennsylvania Almshouse Painters--Charles Hofmann, John Rasmussen and Louis Mader, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg, 1968, unpaginated and unnumbered (cat. by Thomas Armstrong).
- The Beckoning Land, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 1971, no. 73.
- What is American in American Art, M. Knoedler and Co. [benefit exhibition for the Museum of American Folk Art], New York, 1971, no. 73, repro.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Mobile Art Gallery, Alabama, 1974-1975.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Utah Museum of Fine Arts, The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, 1976-1982.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary John Block, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C., 1984-1985.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Exh. cat. Traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 37, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 37, repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 68, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 176, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 203, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 201-202, 203, color repro. 202.