lower left: AEtas. Suae. / 35. years / 1720
Joseph Willson (brother of Samuel Willson, who may have been the sitter); passed to Joseph's remarried widow, Elizabeth Willson Hallett; by descent to her daughter, Catherine Hallett Sinott; by descent to her daughter, Catherine Sinott Boone; by descent to her daughter, Catherine Boone Robinson; by descent to her daughter, Catherine Robinson, by whom sold (date unknown). Owned jointly by (Harry Shaw Newman Gallery and M. Knoedler and Co., New York, 1947-1948), by whom sold in 1948 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1957.
- 18th Century American Paintings, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 1945, no cat.
- Colonial Americans, Columbus Gallery of Fine Arts (now Columbus Museum of Art), Ohio, 1947, no. 25.
- American Paintings of the 18th and Early 19th Centuries, M. Knoedler and Co., New York, 1948, no. 2.
- Merchants and Planters of the Upper Hudson Valley 1700-1750, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg; Albany Institute of History and Art; Museum of American Folk Art and New-York Historical Soc., New York, 1967, unnumbered brochure.
- Two Centuries of American Portraits, University of Kentucky Art Gallery, Lexington; Paducah Art Gallery, Kentucky; J. B. Speed Art Museum, Louisville, Kentucky, 1970, no cat.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, M.H. de Young Memorial Museum, San Francisco, 1977-1979.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 156, repro., as by Unknown American.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 303, repro., as by Unknown American.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 334, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 337-339, repro. 338.