Marks and Labels
Commissioned by the Scuola di San Giovanni Evangelista, Venice; Scuola confiscated by the State in 1806; Gallerie dell'Accademia, Venice; by exchange 1818 with Barbini, Turin. Count d'Arache, Turin, by 1885. (Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Florence); sold 1954 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Tiziano [NGA title: Titian: Prince of Painters], Palazzo Ducale, Venice; National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1990-1991, no. 42a, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Colllection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1951-56. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida and Fern Rusk Shapley. National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1956: 186, no. 73, repro.
- Walker, John. "The Nation's Newest Old Masters." The National Geographic Magazine 110, no. 5 (November 1956): 631, color repro. 636.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 189, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Later Italian Painting in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 1960 (Booklet Number Six in Ten Schools of Painting in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.): 28, color repro.
- Seymour 1961 (Kress), 121, repro. pl. 117
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 307, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 130
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 1:176, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 117, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 183-184, fig. 431.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 348, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:490-492, II:pl. 347
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 210, no. 258, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 397, repro.
- Valcanover, Francesco. "Tiziano in Palazzo Ducale a Venezia: Un primo bilancio." Studies in the History of Art 45 (1993):37, 41-45, repro. no. 12.
- Goffen, Rona. Titian's Women, 1997, no. 155, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection