beneath base: CIC.IOMS
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection: Renaissance Bronzes. Oxford, 1931: 79, no. 63, pl. 39, as Paduan, early sixteenth century.
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 138, as Paduan, early sixteenth century.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: 138, no. 503, fig. 506, as Paduan, early sixteenth century.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 82, no. 25, as Paduan, early sixteenth century.
- Radcliffe, Anthony. "Two Early Romano-Mantuan Plaquettes." Studies in the History of Art 22 (1989): 94.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 169, repro.