lower center on tablet: NATVRA FOVET / QVAE / NECESSITAS VRGET
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- The Art of the Renaissance Craftsman, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1937, no. 52.
- Raphael and the Ruins of Rome: The Poetic Dimension, Krannert Art Museum, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1983-1984, unnumbered catalogue.
- Molinier, Émile. Les Bronzes de la Renaissance. Les Plaquettes; Catalogue Raisonné. 2 vols. Paris, 1886: 1:15–16, no. 29, as After the Antique, end of fifteenth century or beginning of the sixteenth century.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931: 6, no. 3, pl. 3, as by Donatello (this example as a later cast).
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 141, repro. 52, as Attributed to Donatello.
- Pope-Hennessy, John, assisted by Ronald Lightbown. Catalogue of Italian Sculpture in the Victoria and Albert Museum. 3 vols. London, 1964: 1:328, as Mantuan, last quarter of the fifteenth century (this example made at a late date).
- Varese, Ranieri, ed. Placchette e bronzi nelle civiche collezioni. Exh. cat. Palazzina di Marfisa d'Este, Ferrara. Florence, 1975: 24, no. 1 note, as by a Mantuan master, fifteenth century (replica).
- Avery, Charles, Marzia Ratti, and Angela Acordon, eds. Sculture: bronzetti, placchette, medaglie. Museo Civico Amedeo Lia, La Spezia. [Cinisello Balsamo], 1998: 286, no. 207.