across bottom incised in exergue: M.C.
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Molinier, Émile. Les Bronzes de la Renaissance. Les Plaquettes; Catalogue Raisonné. 2 vols. Paris, 1886: 1:78, no. 116, as Two Men Fighting over a Woman, by [Master] M.C. (Northern Italian, end of the fifteenth century).
- Migeon, Gaston. "La collection de M. Gustave Dreyfus, V: Les plaquettes." Les Arts 80 (August 1908): 31, fig. 3, as An Abduction, by Monogramist M.C. (Northern Italian).
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931: 54, no. 66, pl. 22, as A Nymph Carried off by a Horseman, by Master M. C.
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 144, repro. 67, as A Nymph Carried off by a Horseman, by Master M.C.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: 38, no. 118, fig. 221, 144, repro. 67, as A Nymph Carried off by a Horseman, by Master M.C.
- Rossi, Francesco. La collezione Mario Scaglia: placchette. 3 vols. Bergamo, 2011: 1:151, under Variante A, M.4, 152 fig. b.