No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Possibly Queen Isabel II of Spain [abdicated 1870, d. 1904]; possibly from her to Frederick Richards Leyland, Liverpool; (his sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 28 May 1892, no. 103); (Charles Fairfax Murray, London and Florence); Robert Henry [1850-1929] and Evelyn Holford [1856-1943] Benson, London and Buckhurst Park, Sussex, by 1893; sold 1927 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); purchased April 1928 by Andrew W. Mellon, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.; deeded 30 March 1932 to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of the Benson Collection of Old Italian Masters, City of Manchester Art Gallery, 1927, no. 26.
- Bernardino Luini e i suoi figli [Bernardino Luini and His Sons], Palazzo Reale, Milan, 2014, no. 40, repros .
- Benson, Robert Henry. Catalogue of Italian Pictures at 16 South Street, Park Lane, London and Buckhurst in Sussex. London, privately printed, 1914: no. 66.
- Tietze, Hans. Meisterwerke europäischer Malerei in Amerika. Vienna, 1935: 103, repro. (English ed., Masterpieces of European Painting in America. New York, 1939: 103, repro.).
- Cortissoz, Royal. An Introduction to the Mellon Collection. Boston, 1937: repro. 16.
- Jewell, Edward Alden. "Mellon's Gift." Magazine of Art 30, no. 2 (February 1937): 82.
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections in America. New York, 1941: no, 140, repro.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 116-117, no. 37.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 240, repro. 141.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 36, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Great Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1952: 64, color repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 303, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 78
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 1:144, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 69, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 202, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. Washington, 1979: I:282-283, II:pl. 193.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 100, no. 54, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 236, repro.
- Kopper, Philip. America's National Gallery of Art: A Gift to the Nation. New York, 1991: 66, 67, color repro.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 92, no. 66, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection