No overview available.
upper center on the Madonna's halo: AVE.GRATIA PLENA.DO[MINVS TECVM] (Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; from Luke 1:28)
Marks and Labels
Possibly George Ashburnham, 3rd early of Ashburnham [1760-1830], Florence and Ashburnham Place, Battle, Sussex; by inheritance to his son, Bertram Ashburnham, 4th earl of Ashburnham [1797-1878], Ashburnham Place; by inheritance to his son, Bertram Ashburnham, 5th earl of Ashburnham [1840-1913], Ashburnham Place; by inheritance to his daughter, Lady Mary Catherine Charlotte Ashburnham [d. 1953], Ashburnham Place; (Robert Langton Douglas [1864-1951], London); sold August 1919 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); sold 1922 to Clarence H. Mackay [1874-1938], Roslyn, New York, until c. 1930; (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); sold 1938 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Important Early Italian Paintings in the Possession of Notable American Collectors, Duveen Brothers, New York, 1924, no. 21 (no. 30 in illustrated 1926 verion of catalogue).
- The Sixteenth Loan Exhibition of Old Masters. Italian Paintings of the XIV to XVI Century, Detroit Institute of Arts, 1933, no. 60.
- Painting in Renaissance Siena, 1420-1500, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1988-1989, no. 48, repro., as Madonna and Child with Saints Jerome and Catherine of Alexandria and Two Angels (cat. by K. Christiansen, L.B. Kanter and C.B.Strehlke).
- Valentiner, W.R. The Clarence H. Mackay Collection. New York, 1926: 4, no. 5, repro.
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections of America. New York, 1941: no. 94, repro.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 131, no. 408.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 247, repro. 152.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. The Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1944: 22, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 48, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 83, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 89
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 78, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 230, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:329-230, II:pl. 238
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 266, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 509-512, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection