No overview available.
Marks and Labels
The artist to his wife, Jane Suddarth Toole, North Garden, Virginia, 1860; by inheritance to their daughter, Alice Toole Barnes [Mrs. Theodore Barnes], Washington, D.C.; by inheritance to her daughter, Mrs. Beulah Barnes Weaver, Washington, D.C.; by inheritance to her son, B. Woodruff Weaver, Washington, D.C.; sold 1955 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift 1958 to NGA.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part II, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957, no. 66.
- 101 Masterpieces of American Painting from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by the Amer. Federation of Arts, New York, 1961-1964, only shown at Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1962, not in cat.
- The Artist and the Sportsman, The National Art Museum of Sport, Inc., Madison Square Garden Center Gallery of Art, New York, 1968, 78.
- Extended loan for use by The Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1971-1987.
- What is American in American Art, M. Knoedler and Co. [benefit exhibition for the Museum of American Folk Art], New York, 1971, no. 35.
- Extended loan for use in Chief Justice Rehnquist's chambers, 1986-1992.
- In Pursuit of Sport, Brandywine River Musuem, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, 1987, no cat.
- Extended loan for use by The Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1988-1992.
- Extended loan for use by Susan C. Schwab, U.S. Trade Representative, Washington, D.C., 2006-2008.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 116, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 249, repro.
- Rubin, Cynthia Elyce. Southern Folk Art. Birmingham, Alabama, 1985: 64, 69, 78.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 368, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 384-386, color repro. 385.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection