No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Acquired possibly from the Cézanne estate by (Ambroise Vollard [1867-1939], Paris); sold 1916 through Edward Steichen [1879-1973] to Eugene [1875-1959] and Agnes Ernst Meyer [1887-1970], Mount Kisco, New York, and Washington, D.C.; gift 1959 to NGA.
- Fiftieth Anniversary Exhibition, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1920, unnumbered catalogue, as A Sailor.
- Loan Exhibition of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Paintings, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1921, no. 24, as A Sailor.
- Loan, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1923.
- The Taste of Today in Masterpieces of Painting before 1900, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1932, no cat.
- Cezanne: An Exhibition in Honor of the Fiftieth Anniversary of The Phillips Collection, The Phillips Collection, Washington; The Art Institute of Chicago; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1971, no. 54, repro. [exhibited in Washington only]
- Cézanne: The Late Work, The Museum of Modern Art, New York; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Grand Palais, Paris, 1977, no. 66, repro.
- Post-Impressionism: Cross-Currents in European Painting, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1979-1980, no. 49, repro.
- Post-Impressionism: Cross-Currents in European and American Painting 1880-1906, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980, no. 21, repro.
- Cézanne. Paris-Provence, The National Art Center, Tokyo, 2012, no. 71, repro.
- _Bulletin of The Metropolitan Museum of Art (1923): 263.
- _Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 25, as The Sailor.
- _European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 17, repro., as The Sailor.
- Orienti 1970, no.618.
- _European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 60, repro., as The Sailor.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 503, no. 746, color repro., as The Sailor.
- _European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 79, repro.
- Rewald, John. The Paintings of Paul Cézanne: a catalogue raisonné. 2 vols. New York, 1996:no. 949, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection