Admission is always free Directions

Open today: 10:00 to 5:00

Provenance

Bequeathed by the artist to Fra Paolino da Pistoia; given by him to his pupil Sister Plautilla Nelli (1523-1588), Convent of Saint Catherine, Piazza San Marco; purchased from the Convent in 1725 by Francesco Maria Nicolo Gabburri (1675-1742); possibly William Kent; purchased in southern Ireland in 1925 by a private collector; (sale, London, Sotheby's, 20 November 1957, no. 22, and mentioned p. V); purchased by Lessing J. Rosenwald, Alverthorpe, PA; gift to NGA, 1959.

Exhibition History
1978
NGA Master Drawings 1978, p. 34-35.
1992
Fra Bartolommeo: Master Draughtsman of the high Renaissance, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and The Pierpont Morgan Library, New York, 1992 (not in catalogue).