Baron de Beurnonville, Paris. Eugene Fischhof, Paris; (his sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 14 June 1913, no. 39). (Dr. Curt Benedict and Co., Berlin), possibly by 1927; William R. Timken [1866-1949], New York; by inheritance to his widow, Lillian Guyer Timken [1881-1959], New York; bequest 1960 to NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Norfolk Museum of Arts and Sciences (now Chrysler Museum), Virginia, 1967-1972.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Florida, 1979-1981.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 100, as Pater
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 87, repro., as Pater
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 262, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 301, repro.
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 81, 371-373, color repro.