Russian Imperial Family, Pavlovsky Palace, near St. Petersburg, by 1837 until at least 1920. William R. Timken [1866-1949], New York; by inheritance to his widow, Lillian Guyer Timken [1881-1959], New York; bequest 1960 to NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Norfolk Museum of Arts and Sciences (now Chrysler Museum), Virginia, 1967-1972.
- Fragonard & His Friends: Changing Ideals in Eighteenth Century Art, Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Florida; Arkansas Arts Center, Little Rock, 1982-1983, no. 40.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 63
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 55, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 164, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 189, repro.
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 55, 253-256. color repro.