No overview available.
lower right: N. De / Largillierre / F. 1685.
Marks and Labels
Marenzi [Marenzy] de Tollenaere, Bruges; (his sale, Hauw, Bruges, 20 June 1828, no. 63, as Le Dauphin de France avec son précepteur M. De Bossuet); Baron François de Marenzi-de Marensfeld [d. 1845], Bruges; (his estate sale, Moulaert, Bruges, 13 May 1850, and days following, no. 165); presumably bought in and then by inheritance to the Dowager Madame de Doncquers (or Donckers), Bruges, as of 1873; Sénateur Prosper Crabbe [1827-1889] and his wife [née Clémence Allard], Brussells; (his estate sale, Galerie Sedelmeyer, Paris, 12 June 1890, no. 38, as Bossuet et le Grand Dauphin); Antoine-Alfred-Agénor, 11th duc de Gramont [1851-1925], Paris; (his estate sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 22 May 1925, no. 10, as Bossuet et le Grand Dauphin); Joseph Fuller Feder [d. 1944], New York; by inheritance to his widow, Edith Mosler Feder [d. 1960]; (French & Company, New York), by 1954;; sold 1955 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.
- Troisième Centenaire de L'Académie Française, Bibliothèque Nationale, Paris, 1935, no. 266, repro. as Bossuet et Le Dauphin.
- Largillierre and the Eighteenth-Century Portrait, The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, 1981, no. 15, repro. as Portrait of Jacques-Bossuet and Louis Auguste de Bourbon, Duc du Maine.
- Nicolas de Largillierre, 1656-1746, Musée Jacquemart-André, Paris, 2003-2004, no. 42, repro.
- _Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Colllection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1951-56. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida and Fern Rusk Shapley. National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1956: 114, no. 43, repro.
- _Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 347, repro.
- _Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 72
- _European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 63, repro.
- _European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 188, repro.
- Eisler, Colin. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools Excluding Italian. Oxford, 1977: 292-293, fig. 262.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 326, no. 432, color repro.
- _European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 220, repro.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 183, no. 144, color repro.
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 66, 293-298, color repro.
- Grasselli, Margaret M., and Arthur K. Wheelock, Jr., eds. The McCrindle Gift: A Distinguished Collection of Drawings and Watercolors. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art. Washington, 2012: 4, 5, 12 n. 13, 14.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection