No overview available.
center left at base of column: Nattier / 1745
Marks and Labels
Duc de Mailly; Théodore Richard [1782-1859], Paris; (his sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 19-20 and 22 March 1858, no. 176, with sitter misidentified as Portrait of Bouffon). (sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 27 March 1877, no. 42, with sitter misidentified as Portrait of Bouffon); Gustave Rothan; (his sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 29-31 May 1890, no. 176, as Portrait of a Man); L. Cahen d'Anvers, Paris, by 1900; A. de Rothschild, by 1906; (Thos. Agnew and Sons, Ltd., London), by 4 May 1936; comte X...; (his sale, Galerie Jean Charpentier, Paris, 18 March 1937, lot A); purchased by Damidot. (Galerie Cailleux, Paris), by 1952; purchased 1954 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.
- Salon of 1746, Paris, no. 67, as M. Bonier de la Mosson dans son cabinet.
- Tableaux anciens et modernes, Musée des Arts Decoratifs, Paris, 1878, no. 195, as Portrait de Buffon.
- L'art du XVIIIe Siècle, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 1883-1884, no. 111, as Portrait d'homme.
- Exposition Universelle, Paris, 1900, no. 208.
- Exhibition of French Art, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1932, no. 2239 (no. 205 of first catalogue).
- Cent portraits d'hommes du XIVe siècle à nos jours, Galerie Charpentier, Paris, 1952, no. 70, repro.
- Jean-Marc Nattier: 1685-1766, Musée national des châteaux de Versailles et de Trianon, 1999-2000, no. 42, repro.
- Paris: Life & Luxury in the Eighteenth Century, The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 2011-2012, no. 93, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Colllection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1951-56. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida and Fern Rusk Shapley. National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1956: 134, no. 51, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Comparisons in Art: A Companion to the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. London, 1957 (reprinted 1959): 34, 38, pl. 85.
- Cooke, Hereward Lester. French Paintings of the 16th-18th Centuries in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 1959 (Booklet Number Four in Ten Schools of Painting in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.): 32, color repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 358, repro.
- Seymour, Charles. Art Treasures for America: An Anthology of Paintings & Sculpture in the Samuel H. Kress Collection. London, 1961: 185, fig. 175.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 316, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 96
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 2:310, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 84, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 252, repro.
- Eisler, Colin. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools Excluding Italian. Oxford, 1977: 309-310, fig. 275.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 326, no. 431, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 291, repro.
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 73, 336-342, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection