Marks and Labels
Tommaso Mocenigo, Venice, by 1648. Possibly acquired in Italy in the early 19th century by a member of the Gouvello family, Bretagne, France; by inheritance to Marquis Hippolythe de Gouvello, Bretagne, France; sold 1952 through (Landry and de Somylo) to (M. Knoedler and Co., London, New York and Paris) on joint account with (Pinakos, Inc., New York); sold June 1953 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.
- Jacopo Tintoretto--I Ritratti [Jacopo Tintoretto: Portraits], Gallerie dell'Accademia, Venice; Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, 1994, no. 35, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Colllection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1951-56. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida and Fern Rusk Shapley. National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1956: 176, no. 70, repro.
- Walker, John. "The Nation's Newest Old Masters." The National Geographic Magazine 110, no. 5 (November 1956): 622, color repro. 632.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 206, repro.
- Seymour 1961 (Kress), 130, repro. pl. 120, 121
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 308, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 128
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 114, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XVI-XVIII Century. London, 1973: 56-57, fig. 99-101.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 342, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:473-474, II:pl. 338, 338A
- Watson, Ross. National Gallery of Art. London, 1979: 41, pl. 25, color repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 230, no. 288, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 393, repro.
- Cooper, Tracy. "The Trials of David: Triumph and Crisis in the Imagery of Doge Alvise I Mocenigo." Records of Activities and Research Reports 18 (June 1997-1998), Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts, National Gallery of Art, Washington:64-68
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection