No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Probably San Sebastiano, Venice, by 17th century. Peter Lely [1618-1680], London; (his estate sale, held at Lely's home in Covent Garden, 18 April 1682, fifth item on list); purchased by Anthony Grey, 11th earl of Kent [1645-1702]; by inheritance to his son, Henry de Grey, 1st and last duke of Kent and 2nd baron Lucas [1671-1740]; by inheritance to his granddaughter, Jemima Campbell Yorke, marchioness Grey and baroness Lucas of Crudwell [1723-1797], Wrest Park, Bedford; by inheritance to her daughter, Annabel Yorke Hume-Campbell, countess de Grey of Wrest, and 2nd baroness Lucas [1751-1833], Wrest Park, Bedford; by inheritance to her nephew, Thomas Philip Robinson, 2nd earl de Grey of Wrest and 5th baron Lucas of Crudwell [1781-1859], Wrest Park, Bedford; by inheritance to his daughter, Anne Florence de Grey Cowper, countess Cowper and 6th baroness Lucas [1806-1880], Panshanger, Hertford and Wrest Park, Bedford; by inheritance to her son, Francis Thomas de Grey Cowper, 7th earl Cowper and 7th baron Lucas [1834-1905], Panshanger, Hertford and Wrest Park, Bedford; by inheritance to his nephew, Auberon Thomas Herbert, 9th baron Lucas of Crudwell [1876-1916], Picket Post, Ringwood, Hampshire, England; by inheritance to his sister, Nan Ino Herbert Cooper, 10th baroness Lucas [1880-1958], The Hall, Horsey, Norfolk, and Struy Lodge, Beauly, Highland, Scotland; (Lucas sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 16 November 1917, no. 123); purchased by Smith. Freiherr Detlev von Hadeln. (Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Florence); sold 1954 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Birmingham (Alabama) Museum of Art, 2003-present.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Colllection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1951-56. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida and Fern Rusk Shapley. National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1956: 192, no. 76, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 208, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Treasures from the National Gallery of Art, New York, 1962: 40, color repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 136
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 123, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XVI-XVIII Century. London, 1973: 42-43, fig. 76.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 364, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:526-527, II:pl. 366
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 215, no. 261, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 423, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection