No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Camille Groult [1837-1908], Paris; probably his son and heir, Jean Groult [1868-1951]; (his estate sale, Galerie Charpentier, Paris, 21 March 1952, no. 84, as by Longhi); purchased by (anonymous dealer, France); sold to (David M. Koetser Gallery, New York and London); sold February 1953 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.
- The Mask of Venice: Masking, Theatre, and Identity in the Art of Tiepolo and His Time, Berkeley Art Museum, University of California, 1996-1997, no. 13, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Colllection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1951-56. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida and Fern Rusk Shapley. National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1956: 190, no. 75, repro., as Venetian Master, Third Quarter of the XVIIIth Century, Before the Masked Ball.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 253, repro., as Venetian Master, Third Quarter of the XVIIIth Century, Before the Masked Ball.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 135, as Venetian School, Before the Masked Ball.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 122, repro., as Venetian School, Before the Masked Ball.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XVI-XVIII Century. London, 1973: 175-176, fig. 338.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 362, repro., as Venetian School, Before the Masked Ball.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I: 186-7, II: repro. pl. 129, as Attributed to Fontebasso
- Watson, Ross. The National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1979: 92, pl. 78.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 420, repro., as Venetian 18th Century
- Rosenberg, Pierre. Only in America: One Hundred Paintings in American Museums Unmatched in European Collections. Milan, 2006: 134-135, 232, 238-239, color fig.
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 69, 312-316, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection