Admission is always free Directions

Open today: 10:00 to 5:00

Provenance

Reportedly from the chapel of the Château de Sassangy, Saône-et-Loire. Reportedly Dr. Simon Meller, former curator of sculpture, Szépmüvészeti Múzeum [Museum of Fine Arts], Budapest, possibly in his Munich house before 1934, or at an unknown date in Paris;[1] Dr. Jacob Hirsch, New York, by 1935; (Jacques Seligmann et Cie, New York);[2] purchased 1957 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.

Exhibition History
1957
On loan to the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1957-1961.
1961
Exhibition of Art Treasures for America from the Samuel H. Kress Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1961-1962, no. 119.
Bibliography
1976
Middeldorf, Ulrich. Sculptures from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools XIV-XIX Century. London, 1976: 86-87, fig. 137.
1988
Williamson, Paul. Northern Gothic Sculpture 1200-1450. London, 1988: 122, 125.
1994
Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 92, repro.