No overview available.
lower right: John S. Sargent
Marks and Labels
Purchased 30 January 1888 by Elizabeth Chanler, Boston, at St. Botolph Club Exhibition; given by her to Stanford White [1853-1906], New York, for professional services; his wife, Mrs. Bessie Smith White [d. 1950], New York; their son, Lawrence Grant White [1887-1956], St. James, Long Island, New York; his wife, Mrs. Laura Astor Chanler White, St. James, Long Island, New York; purchased 1962 by NGA.
- Société Internationale des Peintres et Sculpteurs, Première Exposition, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 1882-1883, no. 99, as Une Rue à Venise.
- John Singer Sargent's Paintings, St. Botolph Club, Boston, January 1888, no cat.
- Sixty-third Annual Exhibition, National Academy of Design, New York, April-May 1888, no. 213, as Venetian Street.
- New York Columbian Celebration of the Four Hundredth Anniversary of the Discovery of America. Catalogue of the Loan Exhibition. National Academy of Design, New York, October 1892, no. 3, as Venice.
- Retrospective Exhibition, Society of American Artists, New York, December 1892, no. 276, as Venetian Scene.
- Sargent Loan Exhibition, Paintings and Sketches by John S. Sargent, The Copley Society of Boston, Copley Hall, Boston, 1899, no. 36.
- Exhibition of Fine Arts, Pan-American Exposition, Buffalo, 1901, no. 30.
- Exhibition of Paintings and Drawings by John Singer Sargent for the Benefit of the American Ambulance Hospital in Paris, The Copley Gallery, Boston, 1917, no. 9, as Venice.
- Retrospective Exhibition of Important Works of John Singer Sargent, Grand Central Art Galleries, New York, 1924, no. 39.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the Late John Singer Sargent, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1925, no. 71.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Work of John Singer Sargent, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1926, no. 13, repro.
- A Century of Centurion Art, The Century Club, New York, 1947, unnumbered checklist.
- The American Tradition 1800-1900, National Academy of Design, New York, 1951, no. 125.
- The Private World of John Singer Sargent, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Cleveland Museum of Art; Worcester Art Museum; Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica, 1964-1965, no. 16.
- In Memoriam, Ailsa Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1969, unnumbered checklist.
- Uncanny Spectacle: The Public Career of the Young John Singer Sargent, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Massachusetts, 1997, no. 18, repro.
- John Singer Sargent, Tate Gallery, London; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1998-1999, not in cat. (shown only in Washington).
- Rave Reviews: American Art and Its Critics, 1826-1925, National Academy of Design, New York; Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa; Indianapolis Museum of Art, 2000-2001, no. 51, repro. (shown only in New York).
- Sargent's Women, Adelson Galleries, Inc., New York, 2003, no. 17, repro.
- Whistler and His Circle in Venice, The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; The Grolier Club, New York, 2003, no. 87, repro. (shown only in Washington).
- Sargent's Venice, Adelson Galleries, Inc., New York; Museo Correr, Venice, 2007, no. 47, repro.
- Venice: From Canaletto and Turner to Monet, Fondation Beyeler, Basel, 2008-2009, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Downes, William Howe. John S. Sargent: His Life and Work. Boston, 1925: 30, 143-144.
- Charteris, Evan. John Sargent. New York, 1927: 57, 163, 283.
- McKibbin, David. Sargent's Boston. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1956: 78.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 2:496, color repro.
- Mount, Charles Merrill. John Singer Sargent: A Biography. Rev. ed. (originally published 1955). New York, 1969: 464.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 96, repro.
- Ormond, Richard. John Singer Sargent: Paintings, Drawings, Watercolors. New York, 1970: 30, 238, pl. 20.
- Adelson, Warren. John Singer Sargent: His Own Work. Exh. cat. Coe Kerr Gallery, New York, 1980: 32, fig. 14.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 219, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 16, 120, repro.
- Williams 1981, repro. 142, 144.
- Ratcliff, Carter. John Singer Sargent. New York, 1982: 73, pl. 106.
- Lovell, Margaretta M. Venice: The American View, 1860-1920. Exh. cat. Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, 1984: 97.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 568, no. 865, color repro.
- Adelson, Warren. "John Singer Sargent and the 'New Painting'." Exh. cat. Coe Kerr Gallery, New York, 1986: 33, fig. 14.
- Ayres, Linda. "Sargent in Venice." In Hills, Patricia, et al. John Singer Sargent. Exh. cat. Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1986: 56-61, fig. 35.
- Fairbrother, Trevor J. John Singer Sargent and America. New York, 1986: 48-49, fig. 12.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 138, repro.
- Lovell, Margaretta M. A Visible Past: Views of Venice by American Artists 1860-1915. Chicago, 1989: 75-76, color pl. 6.
- Fairbrother, Trevor. "Sargent's Genre Paintings and the Issues of Suppression and Privacy." Studies in the History of Art 37 (1990): 33-34, repro. no. 4.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 330, repro.
- Simpson, Marc, Richard Ormond, and H. Barbara Weinberg. Uncanny Spectacle: The Public Career of the Young John Singer Sargent. Exh. cat. Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Massachusetts. New Haven and London, 1997: 108, repro.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 103-107, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection