No overview available.
lower left: G. Courbet.
Marks and Labels
(M. F.... sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 27 May 1891, no. 18, as Marine). Delafond [Delafons], Paris. (Jacques Dubourg, Paris); sold 18 July 1952 to Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; bequest 1963 to NGA.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- MacNeil, Neil. "Chester Dale: Collector." McCalls (November 1963): 124, repro.
- _Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 52, repro., as Beach at Etretat.
- _Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 33, as Beach at Etretat.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 2:420, color repro., as Beach at Étretat.
- _European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 26, repro.
- _European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 82, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1975: 449, no. 654, repro.
- Werner, A. "The Two Souls of Gustave Courbet." Art and Artists 12, no. 3 (June 1977): 4-9, repro. p. 7, no. 3, as Beach at Etretat.
- Fernier, Robert. La Vie et l'oeuvre de Gustave Courbet, catalogue raisonné. Peintures, 1866-1877, dessins, sculptures. Paris, 1978: 98, no. 725, as Retour de pêche.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 445, no. 642, color repro.
- Courthion, Pierre. L'opera completa di Courbet. Milan, 1985: no. 699, repro.
- _European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 102, repro.
- Eitner, Lorenz. French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I: Before Impressionism. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 142-145, color repro.
- _Gustave Courbet Exh. cat., Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Musée Fabre, Montpellier, 2007:296
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection