lower left: ODILON REDON
Jules Chavasse, Paris; (his sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 22 June 1922, no. 25, repro.). (Reinhardt Galleries, New York); probably by whom sold by 1928 to Mrs. Lotus Robb Smith, New York, until at least 1931; Sold 1937 by an anonymous collector to (Julius H. Weitzner [1896-1986], London and New York); sold 20 October 1950 to Chester Dale [1882-1962], New York; gift 1963 to NGA.
- Odilon Redon, De Hauke & Co., New York, 1928, no. 10
- Symbolism in Painting, Museum of Modern Art, New York, and numerous other venues, 1947-1948
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- From Impressionism to Modernism: The Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, January 2010-January 2012, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- "List of Important Redons in the United States." Parnassus (March 1931):37
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 137, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 108
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 96, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 282, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 515, no. 771, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 327, repro.