No overview available.
lower right: H. Rousseau
Marks and Labels
(sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 29 April 1927, no. 74); purchased by Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; bequest 1963 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Modern French Art from the Chester Dale Collection for the Benefit of the French Hospital of New York, Wildenstein Galleries, 1928, no. 36
- Henri Rousseau, Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1942, unnumbered cat., repro.
- Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1943-1951, unnumbered cat., repro.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- Henri Rousseau: Jungles in Paris, Tate Modern, London; Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, no. 9, repro. (shown only in Washington).
- Dale, Maud. Before Manet to Modigliani from the Chester Dale Collection. New York, 1929: no. 67, repro.
- Dale 1943, unpaginated, repro.
- Bouret, Jean. Henri Rousseau; Catalogue raisonne. Neuchatel, 1961: no.84.
- MacNeil, Neil. "Chester Dale: Collector." McCalls (November 1963): 124, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 117
- Twentieth Century French Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965 (rev. ed.): 80, repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 104, repro.
- Vallier, Dora. L'opera completa di Rousseau il Doganiere. Paris: Flammarion, 1970.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 312, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 536, no. 807, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 358, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection