No overview available.
lower left: E. Vuillard / 1912
Marks and Labels
The sitter, Théodore Duret [1838-1937], Paris; (his estate sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 1 March 1928, no.47); (Jos Hessel, Paris); sold to the Musée National des Beaux-Arts, Algiers, who shortly returned it to Hessel; sold 19 December 1928 to (Alex Reid & Lefèvre, London); sold 11 February 1929 to Étienne Bignou, Paris; sold 22 November 1929 to Chester Dale [1882-1962], New York; bequest 1963 to NGA.
- Cent ans de peinture française, Galeries Georges Petit, 1930, no. 64, repro., as Théodore Duret dans son cabinet de travail.
- Painting in Paris from American Collections, Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1930, no. 99, repro.
- Twentieth Century Portraits, Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1943, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- Edouard Vuillard, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Montreal Museum of Fine Arts; Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; Royal Academy of Arts, London, 2003-2004, no. 304, repro., as Théodore Duret in His Study (shown only in Washington).
- From Impressionism to Modernism: The Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, January 2010-January 2012, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Jewell, Edward Alden. French Impressionists and their Contemporaries Represented in American Collections. New York, 1944: repro. 191.
- MacNeil, Neil. "Chester Dale: Collector." McCalls (November 1963): 122, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 138
- Twentieth Century French Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965 (rev. ed.): 93, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 2:504, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 126, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 370, repro.
- Watson, Ross. The National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1979: 126, pl. 114.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 580, no. 889, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 430, repro.
- Salomon, Antoine, and Guy Cogeval. Vuillard, The Inexhaustible Glance: Critical Catalogue of Paintings and Pastels. 3 vols. Milan and Paris, 2003: 2:no. IX-199, repro., as Théodore Duret in His Study.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection