No overview available.
lower left: Geo Bellows
Marks and Labels
The artist [1882-1925]; by inheritance to his wife, Emma S. Bellows [1884-1959]; purchased 3 February 1945 through (H.V. Allison & Co., New York) by Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; bequest 1963 to NGA.
- Collection of Pictures and Sculpture in the Pavilion of the United States of America, Roman Art Exposition, Rome, 1911, no. 135.
- One Hundred and Seventh Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1912, no. 57.
- The MacDowell Club, New York, 1914 [according to the artist's record book].
- Department of Fine Arts, Canadian National Exhibition, Toronto, 1915, no. 82.
- Important Paintings by George Wesley Bellows, Columbus Gallery of Fine Arts, Ohio, 1931, no. 268.
- Paintings by George Bellows, H.V. Allison & Co., New York, 1944, unnumbered checklist.
- George Bellows: Paintings, Drawings and Prints, Art Institute of Chicago, 1946, no. 8, repro.
- George Bellows: A Retrospective Exhibition, National Gallery of Art, January-February 1957, no. 15, repro.
- Paintings by George Bellows, Columbus Gallery of Fine Arts, Ohio, March-April 1957, no. 12.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- Bellows, Emma S. The Paintings of George Bellows. New York, 1929:repro. 17
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Treasures from the National Gallery of Art, New York, 1962: 174, color repro.
- Paintings other than French in the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 49, repro.
- Young, Mahonri Sharp. "George Bellows: Master of the Prize Fight." Apollo 89 (February 1969):135, repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 16, repro.
- Baigell, Matthew. A History of American Painting. New York, 1971:184, repro.
- Braider, Donald. George Bellows and the Ashcan School of Painting. New York, 1971: 54,67
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 27, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 17, 146, repro.
- Williams 1981, repro. 201, 202, 205.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 572, no. 871, color repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 168, repro.
- Kelly, Frankin. "George Bellows' Shore House." Studies in the History of Art 37 (1990): 131, repro. no. 19.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 29, repro.
- Timeline: A Publication of the Ohio Historical Society. October-December 1992:19, repro.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 404, no. 332, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection