No overview available.
lower right: Mary Cassatt
Marks and Labels
Roger Marx [1859-1913], Paris; on deposit 1908 with (Durand-Ruel, Paris, deposit no. 11393); (Roger Marx sale, Galerie Manzi-Joyant, Paris, 11-12 May 1914, no. 15); acquired by (Durand-Ruel, Paris) for Louisine Waldron Havemeyer [1855-1929], New York; (her sale, American Art Association Anderson Galleries, New York, 10 April 1930, no. 82, as La Femme au Tournesol); purchased by Chester Dale [1883-1962]; bequest 1963 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Masterpieces by Old and Modern Painters, M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1915, no. 50, as Mother and Baby Reflected in Mirror.
- A Memorial Exhibition of the Work of Mary Cassatt, Department of Fine Arts, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 15 March - 15 April 1928, no. 3, as Child Looking Into Mirror.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- Mary Cassatt: Modern Woman, The Art Institute of Chicago; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1998-1999, no. 89, as The Mirror (shown only in Washington).
- From Impressionism to Modernism: The Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, January 2010-January 2012, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- "Rush at Auction of Havemeyer Art." The New York Times. 11 April 1930: 23.
- French Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 43, repro.
- French Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1944: 45, repro.
- French Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1953: 54, repro.
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 86, repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 22, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 35, repro.
- Williams 1981, repro. 141, 144.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 41, repro.
- Frelinghuysen, Alice Cooney, et al. Splendid Legacy: The Havemeyer Collection. Exh. cat. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York,1993: 301, no. 60, repro.
- Southgate, M. Therese. The Art of JAMA: One Hundred Covers and Essays from The Journal of the American Medical Association. St. Louis, 1997: 28-29, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection