by later hand, lower left in pen and brown ink: 44x; by Thomas Thane, upper center verso in pen and browm ink: T Th Enaht 1819; by later hand, across bottom verso in graphite: Anthony Watteau-Born at Valenciennes / in 1684 Died in France in 1721 / aged 37; by William Esdaile, lower left verso inpen and brown ink: 18344 WE 44; by later hand, on mount, upper right in graphite: Cat. 903.
Marks and Labels
Thomas Thane, 1819 [1782-1846] (Lugt 2462 and 811); William Esdaile, 1834 [1758-1837] (Lugt 2617); John Postle Heseltine [1843-1929] (Lugt 1507) ; Mrs. Beatrice Beck Fahnstock; gift to NGA, 1963.
- French 18th and 19th Century Drawings. The Phillips Collection, Washington, DC 1974.
- Parker, K.T. and J. Mathey, Antoine Watteau, catalogue complet de son oeuvre dessiné. 2 vols. Paris, 1957: II, under no. 911.
- Rosenberg, Pierre and Louis-Antoine Prat. Antoine Watteau 1684-1721. Catalogue raisonné des dessins. Milan: Leonardo Editore, 1996.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection