No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Cav. Antonio Piccolomini Bellanti, Siena, by 1811; by inheritance 1895 to his daughter, Signora Ciaccheri, Siena; presumably by whom sold 1895 to (Charles Fairfax Murray [1849-1919], London and Florence); from or through whom sold 1895 to (Thomas Agnew & Sons, Ltd., London); sold 1895 to George M. Salting [1835-1909], London; sold 1903 back to (Thomas Agnew & Sons, Ltd., London); possibly sold to W. Newall. (Trotti et Cie., Paris); sold 1911 to Arthur Sanderson, Edinburgh; (Sanderson sale, Knight, Frank, and Rutley, London, 14-16 June 1911, 3rd day, no. 621, as Petrarch's Laura); purchased by (Thomas Agnew & Sons, Ltd., London) for Robert Henry [1850-1929] and Evelyn Holford [1856-1943] Benson, London and Buckhurst Park, Sussex; sold 1927 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); sold 1937 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Pictures of the School of Siena, Burlington Fine Arts Club, London, 1904, no. 52.
- Loan Exhibition of the Benson Collection of Old Italian Masters, City of Manchester Art Gallery, 1927, no. 96.
- Italian Renaissance Portraits, M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1940, no. 13.
- Virtue and Beauty: Leonardo's 'Ginevra de' Benci' and Renaissance Portraits of Women, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2001-2002, no. 35, color repro.
- Benson, Robert Henry. Catalogue of Italian Pictures at 16 South Street, Park Lane, London and Buckhurst in Sussex. London, privately printed, 1914: no.10.
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections of America. New York, 1941: no. 123, repro., as Portrait of a Lady.
- _Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 86, no. 446.
- _Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 248, repro. 120.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. The Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1944: 35, repro.
- _Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 63, repro.
- _Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 85, repro.
- _Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 59.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XIII-XV Century. London, 1966: 162-163, fig. 449.
- _European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 51, repro.
- _European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 154, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:224-226, II:pl. 152
- Sutton, Denys. "Robert Langton Douglas. Part I." Apollo 109 (April 1979): 311  fig. 36, 312 .
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 182, no. 202, color repro.
- _European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 178, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 338-341, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection