across top: ELIZABETH DAUGHTER OF SR ROBT THROCKMORTON BART; on reverse: peint par N de Largillierre / 1729
Commissioned by the brother of the sitter, Sir Robert Throckmorton, 4th Baronet [1702-1791], and placed in the parlor of Weston Underwood, Buckinghamshire (transferred to the Throckmorton manor house of Coughton Court in Warwickshire by 1855); by inheritance in succession to Robert Throckmorton's three grandsons, Sir John Courtenay Throckmorton, 5th Baronet [1753-1819], Sir George Throckmorton, 6th Baronet [1754-1826], and Sir Charles Throckmorton, 7th Baronet [1757-1840], all of Coughton Court; by inheritance to their nephew, Sir Robert George Throckmorton, 8th Baronet [1800-1862], Coughton Court; by inheritance in succession to his sons, Sir Nicholas William George Throckmorton, 9th Baronet [1838-1919] and Sir Richard Charles Acton Throckmorton, 10th Baronet [1819-1927], both of Coughton Court; by inheritance to his grandson, Sir Robert George Maxwell Throckmorton, 11th Baronet [1908-1989], Coughton Court; (sale by order of "The Trustees of the Will of the Late Sir Nicholas Throckmorton, Bart.," Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 26 June 1964, no. 68); (Thos. Agnew and Sons, Ltd., London); sold 29 October 1964 to NGA.
- European Old Masters, City of Manchester Art Gallery, 1957, no. 173, as Elizabeth Throckmorton in a Dominican Habit.
- In Memoriam, Ailsa Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1969, unnumbered checklist.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 73
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 2:298, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 63, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 188, repro.
- Watson, Ross. The National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1979: 81, pl. 69.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 324, no. 429, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 221, repro.
- Rosenberg, Pierre. Only in America: One Hundred Paintings in American Museums Unmatched in European Collections. Milan, 2006: 124-125, 232, 238, color fig.
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 68, 303-310, color repro.
- Marshall, Peter, and Geoffrey Scott, eds. Catholic Gentry in English Society: The Throckmortons of Coughton from Reformation to Emancipation. Farnham and Burlington, 2009: 190-192, 195, 196 fig. 7.4b.