No overview available.
Marks and Labels
The sitter's descendant, Elizabeth F.G. Heistand [Mrs. Henry S. Heistand, b. 1872], Marietta, Pennsylvania; sold December 1947 to (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); bought that same month by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift 1964 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Historical and Contemporary Portraits Illustrating the Evolution of Portraiture in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, The Iris Club and the Historical Society of Lancaster County, Lancaster, 1912, no. 24
- American Paintings of the 18th and Early 19th Century in Our Current Collection, M. Knoedler and Co., New York, 1948, no. 10a
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957, no. 12
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Springfield Art Museum, Missouri, 1958, no cat.
- John Singleton Copley 1738-1815, Gilbert Stuart 1755-1828, Benjamin West 1738-1820 in America & England, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1976, no. 2
- Case, Sarah McCorkle. Bellmont, 1726 - Mt. Bethel, 1929. Columbia, Pennsylvania (?), 1929 (?): 18-20.
- Sawitzky, William. "The American Work of Benjamin West." Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography 62, no. 4 (October 1938): 437, 451 (11), repro.
- Flexner, James Thomas. "Benjamin West's American Neo-Classicism." New-York Historical Society Quarterly 36 (1952): 24-25.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 120, repro.
- John Singleton Copley 1738-1815, Gilbert Stuart 1755-1828, Benjamin West 1738-1820 in America and England. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1976: color repro. 14, 20, no. 2.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 255, repro.
- Dallett, Francis James. "The Inter-Colonial Grimstone Boude and his Family." The Genealogist 2 (1981): no. 1: 92-94, repro.
- Von Erffa and Staley 1986, 494, no. 596, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 376, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 317, 320, repro. 318.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection