Marks and Labels
(Sale, Oxenham & Son, London, 31 May-1 June 1832, no. 83, as Rabelais by "Jeannet"); Sir John Rushout, 6th bt. and 2nd baron Northwick [1770-1859], Northwick Park, near Moreton-in-Marsh, originally Worcestershire, now Gloucestershire, and Thirlestane House, near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire; to his nephew, Sir George Rushout, 7th bt. and 3rd baron Northwick [1811-1887], Northwick Park; by inheritance to his widow, Elizabeth Augusta, Lady Northwick [née Bateman-Hanbury, 1832-1912], Northwick Park; by inheritance to her grandson from her first marriage, Captain Edward George Spencer-Churchill [1876-1964], Northwick Park; (his sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 28 May 1965, no. 38); (P. & D. Colnaghi, London); purchased 1965 by NGA.
- Exhibition of French Art 1200-1900, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1932, no. 59.
- French Art Exhibition, City Art Gallery, Manchester, March-May 1932, no. 105.
- Chefs D'Oeuvre de L'art Français, Palais National Des Arts, Paris, 1937, no. 46.
- In Memoriam, Ailsa Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1969, unnumbered checklist.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 29
- European Paintings and Sculpture: Illustrations (Companion to the Summary Catalogue, 1965). Washington, 1968: 22, no. 1947, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 74, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 142, no. 141, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 94, repro.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 114-115, no. 88, color repro.
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 24, 124-126, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection