No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Recorded as from Massachusetts. (William Richmond, William's Antique Shop, Old Greenwich, Connecticut); sold 1954 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift 1965 to NGA.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part II, National Gallery of Art, 1957, no. 48, as Dennison Hall, Sturbridge, Massachusetts.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: 111 Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by Amer. Federation of Arts, New York, 1968-1970. no. 39. First venue: Grand Palais, Paris.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, organized by the Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., and Mainichi News., Nihobashi Mitsukoshi, Tokyo, 1970, no cat.
- Sesquicentennial Exhibition, Cummer Gallery of Art, Jacksonville, Florida, 1972, no. 1.
- American Primitive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Holland Union, Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, 1973, exhibition guide (copy not located).
- The American Folk Art Tradition: Paintings from the Garbisch Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 8, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 8, repro.
- Cooke, Hereward Lester, Jr. "Early America through the Eyes of Her Native Artists." National Geographic 122 (September 1962): 357.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 10, repro.
- Little, Nina Fletcher. Country Arts in Early American Homes. New York, 1975: 37-38.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 19, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 543, no. 816, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 20, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 2-3, color repro. 2.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection